Monday, March 31, 2008
My kids are growing way too fast. Natalie can read and write and when playing family games she can keep score!! She makes friends and wants to spend all her time with them. Jake is going to be a kindergartner in the fall and I'll be home alone(that part is kind of sweet). He likes some independence and he also wants to spend more time with friends then with me. Greyson has me feeling the most bittersweet. My sweet little chubby baby is registering for Jr. High today. He's too young. And after a trip to the eye Dr. we found out he is getting glasses. Once again I feel he is too young. As I'm paying for the glasses I feel that I am old. Only My mom can buy glasses, I'm too young for this!!
I don't want any of those kids to grow up. This is my tart part of life right now. I hate seeing them get so big and get their own opinions and not rely on me so much. And yet, the sweet part of my life is the same thing. I love to see them grow up and what they think and their opinions. I love not having them rely so much on me and things are easier. We can really do alot more. I told Greyson the other day that my whole job is to train these kids to leave me. How bittersweet is that? I do want them to grow up and find their own way but they will always be my babies and it's so hard to relinquish those strings and let them become their own person. See, Tart and Sweet at the same time. I wouldn't give any of those parts up because they do make life worth living and this is the way it is supposed to be.
I really think you have to have both the sweet and tart in order for life to progress. Because sometimes the tart part is also the reason I look forward to them all leaving!! They can truly drive me bonkers. I love having conversations with them and seeing the way they think. I hate seeing them hurt but that's life right? At least they still need me to console hurt feelings and honestly I still need my mom for that too. I really do like seeing them become People and not babies. But watching it can be hard. It truly is sweet and tart at the same time but having them together makes it all the more bearable.
I'm going to go fingerpaint with the 2 that are home today (one is "sick")and then eat some sweetarts. Have a good day.
Sunday, March 23, 2008
It was quite the day on Saturday. As you can see. There was so much stuff going on with the kids and the more I tried to get a handle on it the worst it became. The most I can say is at least they were united, even if it was against me. Sunday was much better and we had a wonderful Easter. Hope you all did too.
Saturday, March 22, 2008
Yesterday I went to the doctor for my yearly physical.
My blood pressure was high, my cholesterol was high, I'd gained some weight, and I didn't feel so hot. My doctor said eating right doesn't have to
be complicated and it would solve my physical problems. He said just think in colors...Fill your plate with bright colors... greens,yellows, reds, etc.
I went right home and ate an entire bowl of :
And the other one here is from my Redbook magazine. It says that you can lose 50 calories just by laughing 10-15 minutes.
I can so do this diet!!!
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Thirty years ago today my sister Elizabeth was born.I was a little upset that my parents decided not to name her Laurel. My plan as a 5 year old was to name her Laurel and I could then become The Bionic woman. Yes,I have always been a goofy goober. Instead she got saddled with Elizabeth, poor girl.LOL.
My mom has this great picture of Liz when she was about 3. It's usually my mental image of Liz when I think about her. She has this adorable pink bonnet and dress on with her mop of hair sticking out of the bonnet. She is bent over smelling the daffodils and looks so happy. I love that picture of her.
She is my first sister out of 3 and now we are both old foggies in our 30's. Her and I are also the only ones that have kids so far.She is a wonderful mother of 5 and I marvel everyday on how she does it. We have a good time bonding over our parenting tales.
We have moved many times together and grown up together. We have played school and house and beat eachother up. I have tried to teach her how to clean and she has taught me how to smell the roses (or daffodils). We have had our differences as all sisters do but I still stand by her because she is my sister.
We live apart now but stay in touch weekly if not daily. I think of her often but miss her more. Thanks Lizzie for being my sister for the past 30 years. Thanks for sharing the past 30 holidays with me whether together or apart. Thanks for sharing your barbies your clothes and your children with me. Mostly just thanks for being an awesome sister. I miss you and love you. Laurel
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Sunday, March 16, 2008
- World on a String-Michael Buble, I like all the remakes of this song but I like Mr. Buble's song the best.
- Having a Bad Day-Blue Flannel (I think) this song is still on a cassette tape!! One of my sister's listened to it over and over on a bad day and I adopted the song. It fits some days.
- Material Girl-Madonna, Aren't we all just Material girls in a Material world?
- Another one bites the dust-Not sure who it is by but I have it going through my head when I am getting my to do list to done.
- Dancing Queen-Abba, this one reminds me of Nebraska and my Grandm. She's not a dancer I just remember listening to this on the way to see her.
- T-R-O-U-B-L-E-Travis Tritt. I can be trouble and so can my kids.
- My Stupid Mouth-John Mayer Sometimes I have foot in mouth disease. 'nuff said.
- I'm a goofy goober- Spongebob and Crew. I think this is self explanatory.
- Some Days you Gotta Dance-Dixie Chicks because somedays that is all you can do.
- I will survive-Aretha Franklin? not sure but there are days it becomes more of a mantra.
- Shout-not the one by Tears for Fears but the Isley Brothers. This one can be good or bad. Shout at my kids, shout for fun, whatever this is a multitasking song!!!
- Don't Go Away Mad Just Go Away-Motley Crue. Take this one however you want to.
- Sorry seems to be the Hardest Word-Elton John To make up for the Motley Crue song.
- If you Wanna be Happy-This is from the Mermaid movie with Cher and Winona Ryder. This song my sisters loved when Bob and I started dating. The main words are if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life never make a pretty woman your wife. Reminds me of a young Bob and Laurel.
- You've got a friend in Me-Toy Story. For just about any one in my life.
- London Bridge-Fergie Maybe not the most tasteful song but fun and makes me think of my dear husband. Like I said not the most taseteful.
And finally, from a cartoon (again) Bear in the Big Blue House sings the clean up song. LOVE IT!!! I need to get that put on my itunes. A good quote includes Hey everybody let's clean up the house. Music to my ears. Not all in my home think it is as good. I don't understand it. I think it is Pure Gold!!! LOL.
What about any one else. Do you have music go through your head at all times? I can also at any moment have the Star Wars or Indiana Jones themes go through my head. So, if there is ever a musical about my life you can add those songs too. Go ahead post the songs that go through your mind, help me not feel like a walking jukebox. Go ahead, I tag anyone and everyone who reads this to post the soundtrack to their life.
Friday, March 14, 2008
I also have a very corny sense of humor, I hope the poodle does too.
1 lb ground beef
1 package stir fry vegetables
2 packages oriental flavor ramen noodles
chopped peanuts if desired
Brown ground beef ( I do this with the spice pack from the ramen noodles) Cook noodles according to directions, drain water add to ground beef mixture. Mix in veggie pack and cook until tender.
I usually double this recipe to feed the whole family. Also, I don't mix the noodles with the ground beef instead I put the noodles in the bottom of the bowl and the kids mix it up as they eat. The kids love this and for once never complain about the veggies in it. It's famous in our house because I cook it alot since it is so cheap and easy to make. I'm all about cheap and easy.